Week 3: Problems & Solutions


Screenshot_20160118-114802~2In earlier weeks I played around with the idea of using Twitter as my main social network for my project. I made my own Twitter account and checked the type of limitations and features that the site has. An obvious one is that a single post can only contain 140 characters; this is clearly a limiting factor, however I don’t think it would effect me much as I would only be posting about when I’m filming and sharing around the finished project. I tried a recording on Twitter and found out that there is a 30 second limit; this means that I couldn’t upload my finished project to the site as it will surely be longer than this. A solution to this however is to post a link from another site onto the twitter page. Another problem is that Twitter is mainly used for words, and other social media sites like Instagram are more suited for posting photos, therefore I have decided to create an Instagram account for research too.

I used the same username for both Instagram and Twitter so that the accounts integrate with each other and I can put the links to each profile on the other social network if I wanted to so I get maximum reach.

The InstagrScreenshot_20160118-122825~2am account would be mainly for posting pictures of the production process, as this is what people mainly use Instagram for. On the days I am filming/editing or anything else in the production process I can post pictures of what I am doing to keep people up to date on what is going on. A big problem however is that the videos on there have a limit of 15 seconds. There is also a fixed aspect ratio of 4:3 for videos. This means I would not be able to post my final project on here; so instead I’m thinking about uploading my film to YouTube.

This can then be shared to other social networks through a link. I uploaded my previous project to YouTube, as seen below, without any problems so I am thinking about doing that again. An alternative to YouTube is Vimeo; which is quite similar to YouTube in that you have a channel and upload videos, a potential problem with Vimeo is there is a limit of 1gb of data per week for basic users; so I may not be able to upload multiple videos. For instance if I released a trailer and then tried to upload the final product I may reach the data limit. The solution to this would be to purchase a pro account but this does cost $17 per month. According to this website: http://sproutsocial.com/insights/youtube-vs-vimeo-business/ YouTube gets around 1 billion monthly viewers compared to the 100 million Vimeo monthly viewers; so uploading to YouTube may give my film more of an opportunity for viewshello.


I’d like my footage to be free hand as for the current idea I’m roughly pursuing; it’d need to look spontaneous and so having it on a tripod would look out of place and fake, however this means the camera footage will more than likely be shaky. To counteract this I thought about using a steadicam to still give the effect of free hand recording without all of the  shakiness. I researched into potential steadicams on the internet and found: http://www.hireacamera.com/en-gb/products/HAC00-02231-gibbon-gn1-gimbal-system/ which is a handheld steadicam that would cost about £45 to hire for 3 days. This isn’t too expensive and if I managed to condense the scenes I needed the steadicam for into a 3 day period and film the other scenes on other days then this could be potentially viable, however I also heard the media department does have a steadicam so I could check that out and see if that is what I am looking for.


One problem I was having with audio is not knowing the kinds of mics that are good for interviews; I did some research and found this blog post: http://stillmotionblog.com/howtorecordaudioforaninterview/ they recommend using a shotgun mic on a boom pole above the person for the interview, and having a lavalier mic on the interviewee as a backup in case the subject moves and so the sound isn’t picked up or if one recording is lost there is always a backup. If the equipment is available and if I choose to use interviews in my project then this is the kind of setup I will try and use.

Week 3: Problems & Solutions

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s